Seneca Sailing Academy offers sailing instruction for children ages 7-17 throughout the summer. Lessons are open to the public and membership at Seneca Yacht Club is not required for participation. For guidance regarding which class will best suit your child contact email@example.com
SSA falls into Phase 4 (Arts / Entertainment / Recreation and Education) https://forward.ny.gov/industries-reopening-phase category of activities in the NY State plan for reopening the state economy.
1) The practical upshot of this is that we must delay our opening at least until the week of 13 July.
2) We are cancelling our regular weekly youth program offerings for 2020.
3) We will be offering sailing opportunities for youth and adults; we will provide details by the end of May
If you have already paid for one or more weekly sessions, you can request a refund or be credited for a future session.
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: In order to participate in the SSA instructional programs hosted by Seneca Yacht Club, your child must:
- Have all registration and medical forms on file with SSA instructors
- Have completed payment
- Meet the age or skill requirements of the class
- Be able to pass an age-appropriate swim test
- Bring the following items each day:
- US Coast Guard approved life jacket
- Closed-toe shoes that can get wet
- Lunch (refrigerator available)
- Water bottle
- Change of clothes (including warm sweatshirt or fleece)
- Optional – Foul Weather Gear, raincoat, sailing gloves
Ages 7 – 11
Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
This course is geared toward fun and learning! Opti week focuses on reinforcing skills in Optimist Dinghies, a single handed boat tailored towards newer/younger sailors Students will learn the basics of rigging the Optimist, boat handling, sailing fundamentals, seamanship, sportsmanship, and water safety. Instruction is done in Optimist with either 1 or 2 sailors per boat. Adventure Week – currently beginning 20 July
Adventure Weeks are designed for all skill levels ages 9-17. Beginner students will learn the basics of sailing at a comfortable pace with expert instruction in a team-oriented environment. More experienced sailors will have opportunities to sail different classes of boats and expand their skills with on the water challenges and games. This class will include fun, safe activities on the water. Children age 7 – 8 with previous sailing experience and prior communication between parent/guardian with the head instructor may be approved to take this class. Advanced Adventure Week Advanced Adventure Program is designed for sailors who love sailing and have at least 2 weeks prior experience ages 10-17. Sailors will have many opportunities to explore and learn on different classes of boats. The focus will be to expand on the many ways we can enjoy being on the water. Activities may include sailing trips to local points of interest, swimming, and fun sailing and shore activities.